Thursday, November 18, 2010

All About the Community!

Hey, so I was thinking... where would I house my tennis court, theatre and disco? I was looking for a perfect recreational pavillion and I think I have found it.

Marine Parade is big on art! I really mean, BIG! I think it's great that they fuse recreation and social events with art... Marine Parade minions are so cultured. Just SO cultured!!!


Marine Parade Community Building

The commissioned mural, called the “Texturefulness of Life” is Singapore’s largest piece of installation art, measuring 63 metres by 12 metres!

I didn't even know it was a piece of art, I just thought it was part of the building exterior. It's interesting to think that a building exterior could be considered as a piece of art! I guess definitions are ever changing and now more or less infinite as to what Art is.

Did you know that this mural was designed by Thai architect Surachai Yeamsiri? There used to be Thai wording on the installation piece but it was eventually removed due to criticism about its relevance to Singapore's official languages.

In the words of the architect:"a mix of materials to reflect the eclectic mix of traditional and high tech environments in Singapore."the artwork made use of a variety of materials such as glass and wood. The artwork's centrepiece resembles a huge human eye plastered on a wall, made up of tiny mosaic tiles arranged by computer-aided design.

I think this building is quite fitting... I will definitely have to preserve the exterior, but perhaps an extension wing to include my new bowling alley... What say you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment